Cat's tongues cookies

I love this new lemon dessert cookbook I got, but I have to admit, I wish there were more pictures.  Especially for recipes I've never heard of.

Usually, the lack of photos is enough for me to not attempt a dish. But because EVERYTHING in this book sounds soooo good, I can't let that stop me this time. Which is why I decided to conquer these cookies, with no idea of how they would look, taste, feel.

And I'm glad I did. 

According to the author they're called cat's tongues cookies because you pipe them out in an oblong shape (like a tongue) and have rough feel similar to a cat's tongue. That was intriguing enough for me to try them.

I'm not sure if I'd completely agree about the texture, but I do agree they were delicious!  Hard to describe their texture though. Almost like a flatter (slightly crunchier version of a) lady finger.


I think I may have undercooked my cookies a bit, because from what I read on the interwebs they are supposed to be crispy.  Mine were crispy on the bottom but still a bit soft on the inside.


Although the recipe I used called for a lot less sugar than ones I found online. More sugar will usually give you a crispier cookie, which could be why mine were softer. Undercooked or not, they were super delicious! And not too sweet (which I love).

Another (possible) reason for the difference in cookie texture may have been where in the oven the cookies were baked.  The recipe calls for putting the baking sheet on the lowest oven rack.  But bringing the pan so close to the heat source browns the bottoms a bit too fast (I think). Next time I think I'll play around with which rack I put the cookies on to see how that affects the texture.

The other great thing about these cookies is since you pipe them out (versus using a cookie cutter) you can really make the shapes as unique as you want!


Buen Provecho,
Jackie

Langues de chats (cat's tongues), From Luscious Lemon Desserts

Ingredients

½ stick butter, room temp
¼ cup suagr
1 TBSP finely grated lemon zest
1/8 tsp pure lemon oil
pinch salt
1 egg white
½ cup flour

Directions

1. Position rack in lowest shelf (or one above?) in the oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter 2 large nonstick baking sheets.

2. Beat butter, sugar, zest, lemon oil, and salt with an electric mixer on medium high speed in medium bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg white and beat just until blended. Reduce speed to slow, add the flour, and beat just until blended.

3. Spoon the dough into a pastry bag fitted with 3/8" tip. Pipe dough in 2 1/2 “ long stips about 1 1/2” apart on baking sheets.

4. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, for 4-5 minutes until edges cookies are golden brown. Carefully transfer the cookies with wide spatula to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.

Comments

Popular Posts