Lemon shortbread cookie

Well folks, I've returned from my mini-hiatus. I was in Chicago trying to see as many people as I could in the short amount of time I was there. Sadly I didn't get to see everyone, but I did have lots of great moments with a ton of folks. 8 months is entirely too long to be away from home...

I meant to post this last week, as my conclusion to Lemon Week, but I just never got the time. I kinda wish I was ending on a stronger recipe as this wasn't my absolute favorite. But I had a great time trying out oh-so-many lemony recipes and I hope you had fun following along. I'm sure I'll be making more recipes from the book, along with my luscious creamy desserts cookbook (forshadowing...), so you haven't seen the last of my lemons yet.

And now, onto your regularly scheduled post:

I love shortbread cookies... I think. I imagine them to be buttery, not too sweet and melt-in-your mouth deliciousness.  Like the cookie part of alfajores. So I figured these cookies would be one of my favorites from the book. Unfortunately they weren't.

Again, not sure if I did something wrong (I halved the recipe, I didn't knead the dough for as long as the recipe said and I may have undercooked them a bit...) but the cookies just weren't that great. A bit too crumbly and a bit too dry.


Overall this recipe book has been pretty amazing, so I definitely don't regret the purchase. But it is a bit disappointing when a recipe that is seemingly so simple just doesn't turn out to your expectations. Although I have been known to have issues with cookie recipes so perhaps it's just the continuation of my cookie curse.

BUT they weren't THAT bad (I am often overly critical of my own baking/cooking), and perhaps some of you out there know more about cookie recipes than me, which is why I'll share the results anyways.


Buttery lemon shortbread, from Luscious Lemon Desserts
(half recipe makes 16)

Ingredients

1 1/8 cup flour
2 TBSP cup cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 TBSP grated lemon zest
1 stick butter, room temp
1/2 tsp pure lemon oil

Directions

1. Position racks in middle of oven and preheat to 325. Butter a large nonstick baking sheet.

2. Whisk together flour, cornstarch and salt

3. Process sugar and zest in food processor until zest finely ground

4. Beat butter with electric mixer on medium high until light and fluffy. Add sugar mixture and lemon oil and beat until combined well. Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture, and beat just until blended. Dough will be crumbly.

5. Knead dough in the bowl for about 2 minutes, or until it begins to come together when a small bit is pressed between your fingers. Divde dough into 2 equal pieces. Place both on baking sheet and pat into 5” round disk about 1/2” thick.

6. Score surface of each disk into 8 wedges, using tines of fork. Press around the outder edge of each disk with the tines.*

7. Bake for ~20-25 minutes, or until shortbreads are light golden brown. Remove from oven and cut through the scored lines. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire rack. Store in airtight containers.

* like this. Although I scored mine into 12 pieces, they were just too small to stay together well. So definitely score each disk into 8 wedges.

Comments

Popular Posts