Pookie (cookie from pie scraps)

Popping in real quick for a hot tip: when a recipe writer tells you to discard your extra pie dough after trimming, DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM!!!

Instead, take those scraps and form them into a cookie (or two), brush with your egg wash, sprinkle with some turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw), and bake them on a baking sheet when you're baking your pie. 

Just don't forget about them because they'll bake up faster than your pie crust of course. But they're extra delicious with all those same flaky layers as your dough.

I was so proud of myself years ago when I first did this. But I have been told that this, in fact, is not my invention, and something people in Wisconsin refer to as flakies. As they say, great minds...

But no matter what you call them they're insanely delicious. 

Yours in never wasting butter,
Jackie


Comments

Popular Posts