Garbage soup

What to do when you've got random veggies sitting in your fridge and you wanna eat them before they go bad?? Make soup! Sadly, I'm not nearly as versed or good in this skill compared to my mom (and maternal grandmother). They made/make some pretty bad-ass soups with the most random shit in them. Sadly I'm not nearly as adventurous or creative so I've never experimented much with random soup.

But I decided to give it a shot and make a leek-asparagus-chickpea soup. Did I have any idea how it would taste? Not at all! But as Tim Gunn would say: make it work. And I (pretty much) did.

First, chop up your leaks. Make sure to give them a good rinse b/c they may look clean on the outside but they're dirrrty on the inside. (That's what he said...)

I love extreme food closeups
Sautee the leeks until soft
 

Add chicken broth then simply throw in some chopped asparagus, some pasta, and chickpeas. Boil until the pasta is cooked. My biggest mistake was adding the chickpeas so soon. I probably should have just tossed them in the final few minutes. I should have added the pasta first, then asparagus after a few minutes, then the chick peas last.

But whatever, it tasted pretty damn good.


Jackie

Comments

Popular Posts