St. Patty's Day b-day cake

I'm baaaaack!!

Yea, I've definitely been slacking with my entries for a while but there's probably a million things I should be doing other than this right now. However, this blog is a great motivator for me when I cook and the posts are piling up. So I decided to take some time for myself this evening and catch up.

This post is dedicated to the second most recent cake I've made. In my last entry I documented the baking process for my Guinness chocolate cake. This entry deals with the decoration!

So here's the completed cake in all its glory. It was for a classmate's b-day, which falls on St. Patty's Day. He gave me zero direction with this one so it was fun coming up with it on my own. I can honestly say I didn't steal this idea from anything I'd previously seen. Its a 100% Jackie original. :)
Wanna see more pics (and amazingly amusing commentary from yours truly)??


OK, first of all I have to say that this was my best fondant job ever. (The lip on the bottom was due to the cardboard base. My work was perfection.)
Why was it so good this time?? Two main reasons:
1. I watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vecmy4nKT-A (It's awesome and finally taught me how to properly cover a cake)
2. I used a better fondant (Satin Ice vs. craptastic Wilton)

Then all I did was cover it with some shamrocks (cut out with a cookie cutter), a plastic little leprechaun, a pot o gold with some chocolate gold coins, and my fondant rainbow.


I could have made EVERYTHING from scratch, but I've got a PhD to finish up and just don't have time for that these days. But seriously, how cute is the little guy?!?

Pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
 
So you may be wondering how I made the rainbow. Its just fondant (+ tylose powder to dry it faster) but I don't think I added enough tylose. Although the rainbow finally hardened after ~4 days, once I painted it it got soft again. :( But hey, the advantage of not being a pro is that I can do shit like superglue cardboard to my rainbow to keep it straight. And that's exactly what I did!

The birthday boy didn't seem to mind the cardboard...

...although I can't rule out some effects from the superglue.

Hey, what can I say. People go CRAZY for my cakes!

Jackie

Comments

Popular Posts