Baked sweet potato chips

A while back I had a sweet potato and wanted to try something different with it. I've been wanting to fry up some chips for a while, but I get lazy when it comes to deep-frying things (its just such a pain and you need so much oil...) Then I found this recipe for baked sweet potato chips!

Let's get started!

First, you'll need a sweet potato.

Unfortunately a mandoline is still on my wish-list of kitchen gadgets to buy. So I had to thinly slice the potato by hand.


Extreme closeup!

Hey, I'm not too bad at this. You can even see the light through the thin slices

Arranging the slices on a baking dish

After they're done they get kinda crinkly...

... and not so translucent anymore.


Final verdict: Not bad but didn't blow me away. They tasted OK, but I would have preferred it if they were a bit crispier. I dunno, maybe I didn't slice them thin enough to fully cook. But they tasted more like dehydrated chips than baked chips so I didn't love the texture (they also had a slightly grainy quality to them). I've seen other recipes out there that use high heat (~400 degrees) for less time, so perhaps those would work better. Or you could just be a traditionalist and fry them... potato + fat= mmmmmm.

But they weren't THAT bad... I did eat the whole batch in a sitting! ;)

Jackie

Recipe from http://www.recipezaar.com/Oven-Baked-Sweet-Potato-Chips-77009

Heat oven to 200°F with two racks. Line two baking pans with parchment paper, and set aside. Slice potato crosswise, as thin as possible. Arrange the slices on the prepared sheets, and keep them from touching as much as possible.

Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and cook for 50 minutes. Slices will dehydrate and shrink; turn chips over, and rotate baking sheets if needed for even cooking. Cook until slices are crisped and fluted around the edges and the centers are still orange, not brown, 30 to 40 more minutes.

Transfer to cooling racks, and cool chips on baking sheets. (Chips will be soft when removed from oven and will crisp as they cool.) Store in an airtight container, at room temperature, up to 3 days.

Comments

Popular Posts