Buen Provecho

Buen Provecho.  Buen = good. Provecho = benefit.  Two simple words that mean so much more when used in conjunction.

When I was in Puerto Rico people would say "buen brovecho" before every meal. It roughly translates to "enjoy your meal", and it became one of my favorite parts of the trip.

I can't really explain why I loved hearing it so much. It has the same meaning as saying bon appetit in French, but "bon appetit" has a bit of a kitschy feel to me whenever someone here uses it.  I'd probably feel different about the phrase had I actually experienced it first-hand in France.  But I never have so it's never really taken on a deep meaning for me.

But buen provecho... there was just something about its constant, and genuine, usage that became very familiar to me. It didn't matter if I was eating ceviche at a fancy schmancy restaurant or a fried alcapurria out of some kiosko (street-side stand): people used it all the time.  Maybe it was because I was on vacation, but I truly enjoyed so many of my food experiences there. I wonder if part of that was due to the warm and fuzzy feeling I got everytime someone said buen provecho.

So- in honor of trying to bring back a bit of the calm and happiness and excitement I had during my trip to Puerto Rico, buen provecho is going to be my new saying at the end of every post.  Because I truly want to wish everyone happy and pleasant eatings.

Buen Provecho!
Jackie

Comments

Popular Posts