Daring Bakers

I’m officially a Daring Baker!!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee.

What is a Daring Baker?? I’ll try to explain it as best I can. Basically, it’s an online group (part of the Daring Kitchen) that challenges cooks at home to prepare foods as much from scratch as possible. http://thedaringkitchen.com/


For example, a few months ago the challenge was tiramisu. Doesn’t sound like too much of a crazy challenge, but the kicker was that you had to make the lady fingers AND mascarpone entirely from scratch. Wowsa!

They have two separate groups: daring bakers (sweet/desserts) and daring cooks (savory/meals). Looking through the archived recipes (which are available for anyone to look at) I felt the daring bakers would provide more unique challenges for me. Plus I love reading dessert recipes but don’t often commit to baking, so I figured this would be a good way to experiment.

So how does Daring Bakers work?

Well, on the first of each month we’re given access to our recipe challenge. Some aspects of the recipe are required, such as cooking techniques. Other aspects are flexible to allow for individual creativity, taste preferences, allergies, etc.

Then on the 27th of that month (or a bit later, but never sooner), everyone from the group blogs about their creation. (There’s also an option for non-bloggers to get involved too if this is something that sounds interesting to any of you readers out there.)

After the 27th of each month the recipe officially becomes public, which means anyone, not just daring bakers, can access the recipe and recreate the challenges at home. So if you ever want to try something really unique without committing to this group, check out their recipe archive.

I’ll admit, when I first read about my very first challenge on April 1st my first thoughts were “what?!” and “meh, not interested.” However, as I’ve been reading more and more about this dish I’m intrigued to see how it will turn out. It’s something I’d never heard of and I’m excited to play around with the different recipes I've gathered even after this challenge month is over.

Wanna know what it is? Well, it's a secret... until the 27th that is!

I also love the “characters” they have in the Daring Kitchen store (which can be seen in their logo above). The Chopping Ninja, the Mightly Flame, Miss Measure, Vanilla Fairy, Lady Whisk and El Spattula.

Guess which one I’ve taken on as my alter ego??? Now I just need her outfit for when I cook…

Buen Provecho,
Jackie

p.s. Want to see some amazing examples of past challenges?? Go to Audax Artifex’s blog. She only writes up Darking Kitchen posts and literally takes the challenges to a whole new level by making MULTIPLE variations on each recipe.  It'll give you an idea of the complexity/variety of these kitchen challenges.

.

Comments

Popular Posts