Say cheese!

Ahhhh cheese, how I love you. (Except you blue cheese- you smell.)

I wouldn't say mozzarella is my favorite cheese, but there's just something about it that I LOVE. Its taste is sooo subtle, but I love it anyways. And it's melty-ness makes me oh so happy.

Let me clarify, I realize there are basically two kinds of mozzarella cheese: the "real" kind and the "fake" kind. The fake (American) kind is what we were likely all raised on. It comes in block or stick form that can easily be shredded. Then there's the real kind: the soft mozzarella that's packed in liquid.

But I'll be honest: I love both kinds of mozzarella.

They're just so different I don't think you could even compare them. So I love them each equally for the cheeses that they are.

But there's one mozzarella that kicks BOTH of their butts:


Buffalo's milk mozzarella.

It's the creamiest, smoothest, melt-in-your mouth cheese with a hint of saltiness that makes it the most flavorful mozzarella I've ever had in my entire life.

Find it, buy it and eat it. Trust me, you've never had a mozzarella like it before...

So what do you do with a cheese like this once you've bought it?? You need to use it in a dish in which the cheese takes center stage.  A simple, clean dish without too many competing flavors.


Fresh basil, sweet tomatoes, creamy mozzarella and a drizzling of an extra virgin olive oil with the best balsamic you have.

It's not very pretty because the cheese is soooo soft it tends to fall apart a bit in your hands as you lift the cheese out of the liquid and try to cut it. But this dish isn't about looking perfect.  It's about tasting perfect.

Just me, a fork and this dish. Heaven.


It's not a cheese I buy or eat all the time (it's pricey and doesn't store well), but when I want to splurge and treat myself to a fancy cheese I go straight to the buffalo.


Buen Provecho,
Jackie
.

Comments

Popular Posts