Lemon crisps

Lemon crisps are making an appearance in Lemon Week but in fact I made them last weekend.

Crisp lemon wafers: they were one of the first things that I was drawn to in my new cookbook.  People usually like chewy and soft cookies but I've always been one to like crispy cookies.  Ever accidentally overcooked a batch of chocolate chip cookies to the point where they are almost burnt? I want 'em! Sometimes I'll even overcook my cookies to give them that extra crunch.

But here it was: a cookie that was supposed to be crispy and not super sweet.  I had to try them.


Another reason this recipe rocks my world? They're the type of cookie dough that you can store in the freezer and bake as few (or many) cookies as you want on any given day.  And as much as I like to bake for other people, it's great to have a few leftovers at home for myself.

Because they're so thin and light, the entire recipe yields 10 dozen wafers. Which sounded great at first... until I realized I ate almost a whole dozen fresh from the oven...


What?!? You can't blame me. I HAD to make sure they were good enough to bring into work....


The most interesting thing about this recipe was the cookie dough. It was sooo soft. You basically just plop it down on a well greased piece of wax paper...


... and roll it up.

My dough was very soft, so I couldn't get it to form a perfect circle (you can tell in the first picture, they came out more oblong). You could probably put the dough in the fridge to harden for a few minutes before you shape it if you wanted. But an oblong cookie tastes just as delicious as a circular one.

Buen Provecho,
Jackie

Crisp lemon wafers, from Luscious Lemon Desserts

Ingredients

2 ¾ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream tartar
¼ tsp salt
2 sticks butter, room temp
2 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup lemon zest
1 large egg
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tsp lemon oil (not lemon extract.  The brand Boyajian makes a good one.)

Directions

1. Whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt in medium bowl.

2. Beat the butter, sugar, and zest in a large bowl with electric mixer, beginning on low speed and gradually increasing to high, until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium, add the egg, lemon juice and lemon oil and beat just until blended. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour mixture and beat just until blended.

3. Divide the dough into two thirds; it will be sticky. Transfer one third of the dough to a floured sheet of wax paper and lightly flour the top of the dough. With floured hands, form it into an 11 by 1 ¼” log. Repeat with remaining dough. Chill, wrapped in wax paper, for at least 2 hours or until firm. The dough will keep in freezer, tighly wrapped for 3 months.

4. At least 25 minutes before baking, position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350.

5. Cut the dough into 1/4” thick slices and place at least 1 inch apart on 2 ungreased baking sheets.

6. Bake cookies for 10-15 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Remove from the baking sheets and let cool on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough.

Comments

Popular Posts