You're a fool if you don't like foul!

Yes, I've said it before and I'll say it again, because quite frankly, after 30 years of me on this planet that saying never gets old.

A while back I shared with you guys a recipe for curried chick peas- which was a common late-night snack for my family. Foul was another one of those late night snackers. (FYI, foul is pronounced fool, as in "I pity the fool")  Since I always say I'm going to make more Assyrian/ Middle Eastern foods for you but I never do, perhaps this can hold you over for a bit while I figure out what my next traditional blog will be about.


This time though I didn't eat the foul as a late-night snack. Nope, I decided to pair it up with some pita bread for a delicious dinner.

Growing up I'd eat it occasionally for breakfast too. Yes, beans and garlic and parsley and lemon juice straight after rolling out of bed. I love it! Seriously, this stuff makes me happy 24 hours a day.


Buen Provecho,
Jacqueline*

*You might notice that I sign my Assyrian posts Jacqueline instead of Jackie. It's because of my dual personality. Let me explain... Growing up friends called me Jackie (which later turned into additional nicknames like Yaks, Yakko and JQ). But to my family Jackie does not exist. To them I'm exclusively known as Jacqueline. (Welllll, that's not 100% true either. To my mom I'm sometimes Jacquelino. And to my older cousins I'm sometimes Jackass. No seriously, that's what they call me. We're loving like that!) And although it doesn't bother me when friends call me Jacqueline, having my family, or any Assyrian person for that matter, call me Jackie is just bizarre. Really, really weird and unnerving and I don't like it. So these posts are written by Jacqueline, not Jackie.   :)

Foul, adapted from my parents

Ingredients

1 can small fava beans (foul), ~15 oz
½ - 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
1-2 TBSP lemon juice
salt
parsley, to taste
extra virgin olive oil, optional
pita bread

Directions

1. Place entire contents of fava beans (liquid included) in a small saucepan and heat over medium to medium high heat.
2. Using the back of the spoon, crush the beans a bit to release their starches (which will help thicken the liquid).
3. Add the garlic to the beans and cook until heated and liquid is slightly thickened. (I love garlic but because the garlic doesn't cook much it's going to be strong. It's always easier to add garlic than take it away...)
4. Add a pinch of salt and lemon juice.
5. Place beans in a bowl, top with a drizzling of olive oil and a handful of fresh parsley (more if you love it as much as I do.)
6. Before eating stir in the parsley and olive oil. Eat with pita bread (or pita chips).

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to remember this for one of those days I get distracted and then find out I'm starving and need food /now/. I've never had fava beans before, mostly because every time I hear the word I think of Silence of the Lambs ("I ate his liver...with some fava beans")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of Mr.T:

    http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/cariapa/mit.jpg

    I tried your chickpeas snack recipe the other day, it was great! I'm looking forward to trying the fava bean one, as soon as I find a store that sells fava beans...my local giant grocery store didn't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fool is the BEEEEEEEST. You're totally missing the boiled egg and tahina sauce though...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts