Savory chocolates from Theo

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry I didn't share this post with you last week, when you could have bought this delicious Theo chocolate for your foodie friends just in time for Christmas. I'm sorry I can't buy each and everyone of you out there a box of this amazingness. I'm sorry if you've never heard of Theo chocolates before, because I can guarantee you're missing out.

But I'm telling you all about them now, so hopefully that can make up for some of my oversight. And although this post is a bit late for all you last-minute Christmas shoppers, that doesn't mean you shouldn't go online and buy a box (or 6) of them right now. Because everyone deserves a treat year-round right?

The mirepoix collection

Now I like chocolate, but let's be honest here: good chocolate is good chocolate, so there's no reason for me to go out of my way to buy the stuff online. Typically. But THIS chocolate, I can guarantee  you've tasted nothing like it.

It's savory meets sweet, in the most amazing way possible.


My friend Liz sent me this box in the mail, as its a local Seattle chocolate shop she recently visited. And I'm so glad she did! I'd never splurge on a box like this for myself, so it was such a great surprise when I opened my package. Clearly she knows me well, as she knew I'd appreciate the semi-savory flavors of this chocolate. And holy cow was she right.

Celery herb. Carrots coriander. Bay fennel. Caramelized onion. No, these were not ingredients going into my dinner or a savory stew. They were ingredients in my chocolate-covered chewy caramels. And the flavor combinations could not be more interesting... AND delicious.

Bay fennel: a serious punch of flavor! 
Love the little bit of dried fennel on this simple chocolate

Carrot coriander: mild sweetness from the carrots with a hint of spice
Probably the most beautiful of all the pieces

Celery herb: tasted a lot like a salted caramel with the savory celery salt on top

Caramelized onion: hands down my absolute favorite chocolate. 

As much as I loved all the chocolates, the caramelized onion was the winner for me. You could seriously taste the caramelized onion flavor- and yet somehow it melded perfectly with the caramel and chocolate. Who knew?!? It was so different from any other chocolate I've ever had, and it was beyond delicious. I definitely need to attack this flavor combo and attempt a homemade version!

So for anyone out there looking to splurge a bit on themselves, or a loved one, I could not recommend Theo chocolates more, and in particular this mirepoix collection. Seriously unlike anything out there. I bought a few boxes for some friends at work, and not only did the chocolates arrive quickly, Theo threw in a few bars of 70% chocolate for freeeee. They're also a great organization, that works with non profits and is organic and fair trade. I love everything about this company, from their chocolates to their mission. So ultimately, although its a little bit pricier than your average run-of-the-mill chocolate, I don't mind splurging a little bit more for something that not only tastes great, but is unique and supports wonderful causes.

Yours in always making sure to tell everyone out there when she finds something she loves,
Jacqueline

p.s. I promise I was in no way, shape, or form compensated by Theo for this. They don't even know who I am or that I wrote this blog post. I'm just a girl who received a great gift from a friend and wanted to share the beautiful uniqueness with all of you!

Comments

Popular Posts