Chicago pizza and oven grinder

Everyone knows Chicago for its deep dish pizza. I love all kinds of pizza-- as evidenced by my recreations of pesto pizza, mushroom pizza, and a grilled pizza using no knead pizza dough (my favorite so far). But Chicago style will always hold a special place in my heart for it's completely over the top use of cheese.

But a few months ago I discovered another Chicago "classic": Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder. Everything they do here is homemade, huge, and over the top, as evidence by this Mediterranean flatbread appetizer (which was like crack it was so delicious):
My friend David who lives in NY (but is originally from Chicago) 
introduced me to this gem of a place

But what they're really known for are their baked sandwiches (oven grinders) and pizza pie. What exactly is a pizza pie? Well, basically they put a bunch of spaghetti sauce (with our without meat and/or mushrooms) in an oven safe bowl. Then they top it with a ton of cheese. The whole thing, bowl and all, is covered with a layer of pizza dough. So when they bring it to your table it looks like a chicken pot pie.

But then. Oh my gosh. Then they flip the whole thing over onto a plate and you're left with this giant "bowl" of cheesy-ness. 

Which when you cut into it just seeps cheese


I won't lie- it's a heavy meal. But it's great, simple food in a super cute and very "Chicago" atmosphere. So if you've never had it before and you're craving cheesy comfort food to the max, I highly recommend Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders. Just don't bring any credit cards because the joint is cash only!

Buen Provecho,
Jacqueline

Comments

Popular Posts