Summertime rye cocktail

A home bar.

I've wanted a bar at my apartment for as long as I can remember. Unique liquors, mixers, fresh fruit, bitters--I would dream about these things when I was living in California. But alas, I was a poor graduate student, and never made the investment.

And then I moved into my Chicago apartment, with this gorgeous built in cabinet/bar. It was fate. I was meant to build a bar at this apartment. So earlier this year I took the plunge, and I did some damage at my local liquor store. I decided that I wasn't going to get the cheapo stuff for my personal bar. No no no. Top shelf liquors with high-quality accoutrements only (authentic Luxarado cherries, ginger beer, and real pomegranate-juice grenadine).

While I love looking at my bar from time to time, the biggest problem is that I haven't fully utilized the quality ingredients I had on hand... until today.


This cocktail doesn't have an official name, but it has some of my favorite ingredients in a cocktail: rye whiskey, grenadine, lemon, and bitters.

I also decided to be a rebel and add a cherry to it. Luxarado only. Tasty and beautiful.


Also, can we take a moment to talk about these glasses. I've been looking for coupe glasses forever, but never had any luck. And then, during a day trip to Evanston, the boy and I randomly came across a garage sale, where amongst the insane amount of chotchkies I spotted these beauties. I quickly snatched all 7 glasses after finding out they were only a buck a piece!! The best part: the open stem allows the cherries to slowly color your liquor. So pretty!


So if you're looking for a great cocktail to savor summer with, this one is a keeper. And if this cocktail is your kind of drink, check out some of the other delicious ones I've put on my Pinterest page. This is the first I've tried, but hoping to experiment with a lot more this upcoming summer!

Yours in finally appreciating the bar she's been wanting for so many years,
Jacqueline

The chose-your-own-adventure cocktail, adapted from Tasting Table

Note: This is a semi tart cocktail at first sip. Almost like a whiskey sour. I loved it, but if you're worried about the tartness, cut the lemon down to 1/4 ounce. Also, I upped the rye a teeny bit, cuz I love me some rye. The original recipe called for 1 oz.

The ingredients I used

Ingredients

1½ ounce rye (I used High West, Double Rye) or bourbon if you like
1 ounce dry vermouth
¾ ounce grenadine
½ ounce fresh lemon juice
2 dashes orange bitters
Lemon peel
maraschino cherry, optional

Directions

In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the rye, vermouth, grenadine, lemon juice and bitters. Shake well. Strain into a coupe glass and garnish with the lemon peel and cherry. Serve immediately.

Comments

Popular Posts