Peach galette with roasted pecan crust

Though I've only posted 2 galette recipes on this blog (a savory butternut squash one and a sweet blood orange one), I have 7 more posted on Pinterest. Plus I pretty much squeal on the inside whenever I see a picture of one.

I'm kinda obsessed.

There's just something about the rustic nature of it that I love. And the buttery, flaky crust doesn't hurt either. So when I saw this recipe for a white peach galette, and realized that I hadn't eaten a peach ALL SUMMER, this recipe shot up to the top of my list. And then I noticed there were pecans in the crust and game over. I was making this recipe ASAP.

Luckily for you I'm actually sharing this recipe while peaches are still in season. Which means it's time for you to go to the market, buy a few peaches, and make this simple galette.


I won't lie, I had a few issues with the crust (added too much water). But even after "messing it up" the final product was so fabulous, so I'd say this recipe is pretty fool proof!

And you'll notice from the picture above that this galette oozed a bit of it's juices and burnt on my baking sheet. I'll be honest, I was worried while it was baking that the bottom crust would be a soggy mess. But again, no worries!! The galette itself was perfect, and the bottom of the crust was tender and flakyexactly what a pie should be.


Except it didn't taste exactly like pie (in a good way). The pecans in the dough were so unique and added an incredible depth of flavor. Definitely a win in my book, and a recipe I'll be coming back to when I want to add a little "oompf" to my pie game.

The other reason I like this recipe more than a traditional pie was the simplicity of the dish. There aren't a ridiculous amount of spices or sugar in this dessert. It's tender fruit in a flaky, nutty crust with just a touch of sugar. No crazy spices. No complicated techniques. But the final product is so much more than the sum of its parts. The boy felt like it could have used more sugar, but I liked it the way it was. I think a scoop of vanilla ice cream would give it juuuuuust enough sweetness to satisfy everyone.


Plus it comes together in very little time, which isn't true of many dessert recipes. It basically requires you to make dough, let the dough chill, roll it out, top with fruit, and bake!

Dough rolled out, fruit place on top. Make sure you leave a border!
Lovely sliced peaches
Edges sealed up and sprinkled with sugar
**Swoon**

Ready for the oven!!

Instagram worthy!
 
Yours in holding onto summer for as long as she can,
Jacqueline

Peach galette with roasted pecan crust, adapted from Apt 2B Baking Co (originally from Bon Appetit)

The dough needs enough time to rest in the fridge, so to make life easier I'd recommend making the dough one day before baking your galette. I've clarified the directions so you don't end up accidentally adding too much liquid to the dough like I did. But if you do accidentally add too much water, just add in more flour until the dough isn't wet anymore, and let it rest in the fridge. Mine was still too wet by the time I baked it, but it came out great! It really is a fool proof crust, so don't be scared!

Dough
1/2 cup pecans (I used the roasted & salted pecans from Trader Joes)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt (I didn't add this as my pecans were already salted)
1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1" cubes
2-4 TBSP ice water (I needed just over 2 TBSP)

Filling
4 medium peaches
1 TBSP brown sugar + 2 TBSP brown sugar (or muscovado)
1 TBSP all purpose flour
pinch salt
1/2 lemon
1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
turbinado sugar, to finish

Directions
  1. If your pecans are already roasted, skip ahead to step #2. If not... preheat oven to 350°F. Toast pecans on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing once, until fragrant and slightly darkened, ~5-7 minutes (more if needed). Set aside to cool.
  2. Place a large sized bowl in the freezer to chill (this is what you will use to mix your dough).
  3. Prepare your dough: Pulse the pecans in a food processor until they are coarse meal. Add flour, sugar, salt, and pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse until the butter is mostly worked into the dough, with a couple of lima bean and pea-sized pieces remaining. 
  4. Transfer the dough to your chilled bowl, and drizzle with 2 tablespoons ice water. Mix gently, adding more liquid as needed. If your dough is very dry at this point, go ahead and add an extra 1 TBSP of water. Once it's starting to come together (but isn't quite there), add 1 tsp at a time to avoid adding too much liquid. Add just enough water so that the dough easily sticks together when squeezed.
  5. Gently pat the dough into a 6"-diameter disk. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days). 
  6. To assemble and bake: Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. 
  7. Pit and slice the peaches into 1/4-inch slices. Set aside.
  8. Roll the dough out to a roughly 12-inch circle, 1/8-1/4-inch thick, and transfer it to the baking sheet. Sprinkle the flour and 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar over the top. Arrange the peach slices on top of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border around the edges. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and a pinch of salt. Squeeze the lemon over the top. 
  9. Fold the edges of the dough over the fruit and chill the galette until the dough is firm, about 15 to 30 minutes. 
  10. Brush the chilled dough with egg wash, sprinkle with turbinado sugar, and bake the galette until deep golden brown 30-40+ minutes. (I baked mine for over 50 minutes, but I think my oven wasn't quite getting up to 375. Just watch it and bake until the dough is a deep golden brown. Also, don't worry if your galette oozes liquid that ends up burning, it happened to me [see picture above] but my galette came out perfect.)

Comments

Popular Posts