I've told you all about my love of roasted cabbage, so it's no surprise that today I share with you a recipe for its miniature cousin, the Brussels sprout. But unlike the simplicity of the cabbage recipe, this one will knock your face off with a flavor punch! In a good way, of course.
I also had some cauliflower on hand, which roasts alongside the Brussels sprouts and goes really well with the mini cabbages.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cabbage with Spicy Lemongrass Sauce, adapted from Season with Spice
I found the original amount of oil called for in the recipe (5 TBSP) was too much for the amount of veggies here. I can't remember exactly how much oil I used, so feel free to use more if the amount listed below isn't enough.
up to 1 lb brussels sprouts, outer leaves and tough ends removed, and sliced in half
half head cauliflower, cut into florets (optional)
Olive oil for coating
2 TBSP grape seed oil (or your choice of vegetable oil)
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 stalk of lemongrass, white part only, smashed and finely chopped
1 tsp of red chili flakes
1 TBSP fish sauce (use soy sauce if you don't have fish sauce, or for a vegan option)
2 tsp brown sugar
squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Lightly toss Brussels sprouts and cauliflower with olive oil and place cut-side down on the lined baking pan. Depending on your oven, the roasting process will take between 25 - 30 minutes.
- Toward the end of roasting, heat up a sauce pan. (Tip: make sure the pan is big enough to throw in your veggies after they're done roasting.) When heated, add in oil and garlic, and cook over medium-low heat. Stir and gently cook the garlic until fragrant and lightly browned.
- Add in shallot, lemongrass, red chili flakes, fish sauce, and sugar. Stir and gently cook the sauce for about one minute. Turn heat off.
- Once the vegetables are tender and start to brown, remove from the oven and toss them into the sauce pan. Coat the sprouts with the sauce with a quick stir, squeeze in lime juice, remove from heat and serve immediately.