Peanut quinoa salad

Remember this Thai salad with chicken and cabbage I posted a while back? (Fun fact: it's still one of my favorite salads ever!) Or how about this veggie-packed quinoa salad I recently posted about?

Thai salad on left and quinoa salad on right
Wellllll, today's recipe is like those 2 recipes had a baby. A delicious, Thai-inspired quinoa baby! It's got the peanut-y and lime kick and cabbage from the salad on the left, with the quinoa and red peppers from the salad on the right.


Oh, and of course it has red quinoa instead of the white variety, because I love the hearty and nutty flavor of the red quinoa, which stands up really well to this thicker peanuty sauce.


Just like its mama and papa salads, this recipe is perfect to make on a Sunday and eat throughout the week. I've been obsessed these days with my weekly salad fix, so having different recipes to pull from keeps me from getting too bored.

Buen Provecho,
Jacqueline

Thai-inspired quinoa salad with cabbage, adapted from Ambitious Kitchen

Ingredients
¾ to 1 cup uncooked quinoa (I recommend red quinoa, or a tri-color mix)
½ small head of red cabbage, sliced thin
1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, diced
½ red onion, diced
1 cup shredded carrots or 3 carrots, chopped
1 cup chopped cilantro (~1 bunch)
¼ cup diced green onions (I use the whole thing, green and white part)
½ cup cashew halves or peanuts, optional (I didn't use)
1 cup edamame or chickpeas, optional (I didn't use)

Dressing
¼ cup peanut butter
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
3-4 TBSP lime juice (~ 2 limes) 
3 TBSP soy sauce or tamari
1 TBSP honey (agave is another alternative)
1 TBSP red wine vinegar
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil, optional (if you like it, which I do not...)

Directions
  1. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside until cool in a large bowl (the same one you'll eventually add all your ingredients to).
  2. Start chopping the rest of your salad ingredients and add to the quinoa bowl.
  3. To make dressing: Add peanut butter and honey to a medium microwave safe bowl; heat in microwave for 20 seconds. Add in ginger, lime juice, soy sauce, vinegar, and olive oil and stir until mixture is smooth and creamy.
  4. Pour dressing over the salad, stir, and refrigerate to let the flavors meld a bit.
  5. Serve chilled or at room temperature with lime wedges.

Comments

  1. Quinoe is good for health and the salad looking tempting to try. I think I would prefer it for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts