Rich French brownies

Turns out I only have 2 other brownie recipes on this blog. Pretty sure I've made more than just these super fudgey flourless brownies before and these Girl Scout Thin mint brownies in my 7+ years of having a blog. 

But alas, sometimes things just don't make their way here to my little dusty corner of the world wide web. But today I'm back with a vengeance.

Don't be scared to add vanilla ice cream to your warm brownie!

Not only do I have a recipe for an extremely dense and rich chocolate brownie, I've got some bonus photos for you.

So. Much. Chocolate.

After looking at the giant pile of chopped chocolate on my cutting board, and couldn't resist grabbing my macro lens for some fun.


Other than being loaded with an insane amount of chocolate, I love that these brownies cook up in a springform pan. So every piece has both a slightly well done corner edge and a slightly underdone fudgey center!


I know people fall into 2 very divided camps in their search for the perfect brownie: nuts vs no nuts. I'm in the nut camp. There's just something that I love with the crunch in juxtaposition with the fudge-like texture. But if nuts aren't your thing, no worries--the original version of this recipe didn't have nuts either. I just couldn't resist sprinkling the top with a handful of walnuts!

But please please please do not leave off the flake salt. It is a perfect partner to the rich and dense chocolate.


There's a secret ingredient in these brownies too that add yet another layer of flavor and texture. I'll let you read the recipe below to figure that one out.

Before I go, one more picture of chocolate:

Buen provecho,
Jacqueline

French brownies, from David Lebovitz

You should check out David Lebovitz's post--his pictures are gorgeous!
Some options for substitutes:
  • Replace the water with coffee or espresso
  • Use almond flour in place of the coconut
  • Add a handful of chocolate chips (~1/3 of a cup)
  • Top with a handful of your favorite nut before baking
Storage: The brownies can be frozen for up to two months, well wrapped. Because they are quite moist, they’re somewhat fragile so pack them carefully if you freeze them.

Ingredients

7 ounces (200g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup (60ml) water
4 ounces (115g) butter, salted or unsalted, cubed
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
2 tablespoons flour
4 medium or large eggs
2 tablespoons unsweetened dessicated coconut flakes (see Note)

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC.)
  2. Butter a 9-inch (23cm) springform pan then dust the bottom with cocoa powder (or a bit of flour), then tap out the excess.
  3. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate, water, and butter together, stirring constantly, until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar and flour, then the eggs, one by one.
  4. Mix in the coconut and chocolate chips. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the center feels just about set; err on the side of underbaked a little if you want a creamy center.
  5. Let cool, then slice into wedges.

Comments

Popular Posts