Turkey sliders

Turkey is a hit-or-miss meat for me.

I love it roasted.

I don't like it left over. (Unless you turn it into turkey pot pie, then it's one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten!)

Sometimes I like it in cold-cut form (Trader Joes low sodium turkey!).

Often times I don't.

Turkey bacon is lame.

Giant turkey legs (a staple at the Taste of Chicago) are pretty damn tasty.

And then we have ground turkey. All in all, it's not bad. It's a great way of making a healthy alternative to burgers and meatballs, but let's be honest here, turkey doesn't taste like beef. So a recipe that'll work with beef, well, may not be the best option for turkey.

Mini burgers are so much more fun to eat. And perfect for a party.

This turkey burger/slider recipe is my favorite way to prepare ground poultry. For me, it enhances the natural sweetness and mildness of the meat. Highlighting the pros of the turkey instead of trying to cover up the cons.

And exactly how does it do that? With a very interesting tri-fecta:

Apples, celery, and onions... oh my!

They add a sweetness and slight crunch that's just the perfect compliment to the turkey. Add in a little sage/poultry seasoning, and you're pretty much set with an awesome little burger!

So if you're looking for a lean-meat alternative to beef and aren't a huge fan of turkey, give this recipe a chance.

Yours in bringing out the best,
Jacqueline

Turkey Burgers, originally introduced to me by my good friend Jeanne, adapted from here

Ingredients
1 to 1.5 lb turkey
1 small Macintosh apple, finely chopped
1 small red (or white) onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning (or dried sage)
salt and pepper to taste
baharat, optional (I added a dash of this middle eastern spice mix, definitely not required though)

Directions
1. Mix together ingredients in large bowl and form into patties.
2. Preheat a large skillet (med high), grill, or whip out the George Foreman grill you haven't used in 8 years.
3. Cook patties for about 5-6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and no pink remains.

Comments

Popular Posts