Apple pumpkin muffins

Want to make the most delicate, tender, and moist cupcakes or muffins out there? Add pumpkin puree to the mix! Seriously, back in the day I used pumpkin puree in these incredibly soft pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, which to this day remain the moistest cupcake I've ever made.

And moistest muffin I've ever made? These guys:
Apples and pumpkin make for a tender muffin

Not only were these muffins super moist from the pumpkin puree, the apples and pecans added great texture as well. The apple chunks simply melted in your mouth, and the salted pecans added that perfect contrasting crunch.


I cut down the sugar a bit, so these have been the perfect way to start my morning!

And the best part of these muffins? They took mere minutes to throw together! Plus they're a great grab-and-go breakfast, especially when you use less sugar in them (like I did). I think I need to start incorporating more breakfast muffins into my days.

Buen Provecho,
Jacqueline

Apple pumpkin muffins, very slightly adapted from Food Gal
(Makes 15 standard size muffins)

Note: The original recipe called for 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, and 1/4 tsp ground cloves. I simply replaced this with 2 tsp of my homemade apple pie spice blend, as I absolutely love that spice mixture and I have a bunch of it pre-made for recipes like this.

Ingredients

Dry ingredients
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 - 1/2 cup granulated sugar (I used 1/4 cup and felt the muffins were perfectly sweet)
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons apple pie spice blend
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Wet ingredients
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup walnut oil or vegetable oil (I imagine you could use apple sauce or Greek yogurt here for a healthier alternative, or combinations thereof)
1 large firm-sweet apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
3/4 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped (I used salted pecans and they worked great)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Garnish, optional
15 walnut or pecan halves for garnish

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 15 muffin cups with paper liners or grease with butter. In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, apple pie spice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda). In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, apple, chopped walnuts, and vanilla).
  2. Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine (do not overmix). At this point, you can refrigerate the batter until the next day, if you wish. If not, divide the batter among the 15 muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full, and top each with a walnut half if desired. Bake until muffins are puffed and golden and a cake tester comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let muffins cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then serve warm.

Comments

Popular Posts