Muffin mania- cranberry oatmeal muffin

I've been on a muffin kick these days for breakfast foods. Last week it was apple pumpkin muffins. This week: cranberry oatmeal muffins.

The thing I like about them is I can grab one and go on my way to work. Typically I eat my breakfast at work (cottage cheese or yogurt), but by the time I get ready, commute on the train, and walk into the office I'm famished! This way, I've got a quick little bite I can snack on throughout the morning to hold me over to my more traditional protein-rich breakfast.

I was almost done with my last muffin before I realized 
I never snapped a photo! Caught it just in time.

Although these muffins were a bit more dry than the apple pumpkin ones from last week (pumpkin results in the most soft muffins and cupcakes ever), these were less sweet- which I liked. They were also a bit heartier in flavor (likely due to the oats) and bread-like in texture. Perfect with a glass of milk or tea!

This week I'm taking a hiatus from muffins and will be eating savory biscuits each morning instead (more to come on those this week!), but I'll be back next week with more muffiny goodness. And if you have any muffin recipes you really like, please send them my way. I'd love to keep this breakfast streak going.

Buen Provecho,
Jacqueline

Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins, from Kitchen Confidante

I find the muffins best enjoyed at room temperature or warm. Pop in the microwave for a few seconds to replicate the out-of-the-oven taste for the leftover muffins.

Ingredients

1 cup rolled oats (or 1 cup quick 1-minute oatmeal; see directions for slight differences in prep depending on how you use the oats)
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans (optional)

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a muffin tin by lightly spraying with non-stick spray or using cupcake liners. Set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine oatmeal and buttermilk and let it sit for 30 minutes. (Quick oatmeal doesn't have to sit for a full 30 minutes; just mix it with the buttermilk while you prepare your other ingredients.)
  3. Stir in the egg, brown sugar, and melted butter into the oat mixture.
  4. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Gently stir into the oat mixture until just combined. Stir in the dried cranberries (and nuts, if using).
  5. Distribute the batter evenly into the muffin tins. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown, and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool for about 3 minutes, then remove from the muffin pan. 

Comments

Popular Posts