Aviation cocktail

I've been so focused on blogging these days that I completely forgot to mention that it was my birthday a few weeks ago! I may be 34 years old, but I don't look a day over 31.

For those of you who don't know, I have the honor/curse of being born on Valentines day. As "romantic" as people think it is, there are some major downsides. Cons: overpriced dinners, sappy red balloons and annoying people all over the place, not being able to celebrate my 21st birthday on the actual day because everyone I knew over 21 had dates that day, etc etc.

However, one good thing is that I always have a reason to celebrate and for me its all about getting together with friends, which has helped as I was often single on that romance-filled day.

This year was not much different from past birthdays--I had a delicious but completely unromantic dinner and then hung out at a video-game bar on the 14th, just the way I like it. But unlike most years I am actually dating someone now. And the boy did a great job (as always) with listening to me and getting me exactly what I wanted, even without me knowing what I wanted.

The boy's "wrapping" of gifts has now become my favorite part of my birthday. Last year he used foil, a shoebox, and paper towels to wrap a few of my presents. This year: a sock and an old pill bottle. Some women might get upset with the lack of proper gift wrapping, but I think its absolutely hilarious. Totally makes my day!!!

He had already gotten us tickets to see my favorite musical (Chicago), but then managed to surprise me with more presents!! The one you see here is Creme de Violette, a very fragrant liquor that is a key component to one of my favorite cocktails: the aviation.


You only need a teaspoon or so of the liquor for this drink, so I will never understand why they are sold in such large bottles. Guess that means I just need to do a LOT more drinking.


Shouldn't be too hard to do though if we're able to make top-notch $10 cocktails at home for the fraction of the price.

Yours in getting closer and closer to her dream bar,
Jacqueline

The Aviation Cocktail, adapted from various recipes online
Yield: 1 drink

Ingredients
2 oz gin
1/2 oz maraschino liquor (recommended: Luxarado)
1/4 oz or 1.5 tsp creme de violette
1/2 oz lemon juice (up to 3/4 oz if you like)

Directions
Place all ingredients in a shaker filled with ice and shake, shake, shake. Serve in a classic cocktail glass and serve with a good-quality candied cherry.


Comments

Popular Posts